Restaurant in a Historical Establishment
The Eagle Hotel is the home of our local restaurant. Built in 1826, it is the oldest hotel building that is still in commercial use in the Erie County. At one time, this hotel was a welcome sight to many weary frontier travelers. It was built of local sandstone by Thomas King, son of one of Erie County's first settlers. In 1845, when the hotel was owned by Amos Judson, it suffered a devastating fire. The interior was gutted, but in less than a year the hotel was again ready for business. Zachary Taylor, the 12th President of the United States stayed in the hotel in 1848. This hotel has served as a tavern, social hall, resort, and stagecoach stop to many.